survey of YFSs

Joe Ecker jecker at ATGENOME.BIO.UPENN.EDU
Sat Nov 20 13:30:56 EST 1993

Dear Arabidopsis Researchers,

I am taking a survey of YFSs (your favorite strains) of Arabidopsis.
Please take a moment to respond to the 4 questions that I have listed
below.

1. How many different strains of Arabidopsis do you use in your work?

Example answer:  Four strains

2. What are these strains?

Example answer:

Ws-0 is used for approx. 60 % of our work
Ler is used for approx. 20% of our work
Col-0 is used for approx. 10% of our work
RLD is used for approx. 10% of our work

3. Why are you using these strains?

Example answer:

Ws-0 is the background for the Feldmann T-DNA insertion collection
Ler is used for our mutagenesis studies.
Col-0 is used for our mapping crosses to the Ler mutants.
RLD is used for our transformation experiments.

4. Would you be using additional strains if there were polymorphic
markers available for mapping single genes or multigentic traits
in those strains.

Example answers:

No. I've got my hands full with the strains that we currently use.

Yes. My work has been limited by the availability of polymorphic markers
for strain X.

Your information will allow us to make a more informed decision in
regard to typing of simple sequence length polymorphisms (SSLPs) on
the "most widely used" strains.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Joe Ecker
jecker at atgenome.bio.upenn.edu

PS. Don't forget to nominate and vote! (see C. Somerville message, 11-19-93).