SEND DATABASE PROPOSALS

MeyerowitzE meyerowitze at STARBASE1.CALTECH.EDU
Sun Oct 3 02:47:44 EST 1993

MESSAGE FROM THE NORTH AMERICAN ARABIDOPSIS STEERING COMMITTEE (NAASC):

PROPOSALS FOR ARABIDOPSIS DATABASES

There appears to be broad support for the concepts presented in the Dallas
database report that was drafted by NAASC, and distributed over this network
some weeks back.  A summary version of the report is being prepared for
inclusion in the next annual progress report of the Multinational Arabidopsis
Genome Project.

Now it is time for the next step: it is time to submit proposals for funding.
 We encourage anyone interested to develop (a) proposal(s) that meet the
needs outlined in the Dallas report, and to submit them to the National
Science Foundation's Biological Database Activities program.

As far as we know, no continued support for any of the Arabidopsis databases
in the U.S. will be forthcoming without proposals to funding agencies.

The target date for the NSF Biological Database Activities program is
November 1, 1993; the appropriate program announcement is National Science
Foundation publication NSF 90-70.  Since the announcement is somewhat
outdated, potential applicants should contact Dr. Peter Arzberger for further
details, at (703)-306-1469 (phone) or on the net, parzberg at nsf.gov.

Elliot Meyerowitz, for the Steering Committee