CAPS Markers

caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com caspart at esvax.dnet.dupont.com
Tue Oct 5 14:18:37 EST 1993

Dear Netters,
Several people have recently asked whether the Ausubel lab
CAPS markers, which were developed for a Columbia x Landsberg
cross would be useful for other crosses.  We have surveyed
these markers in 6 lines and the results are shown below.
The DP23 line is a multiply marked line constructed by David
Patton which contains 1 marker on each chromosome (ch1, er,
gl1, cer2, and tt3).  In the table below, a C indicates a
Columbia pattern, an L indicates a Landsberg pattern and a
dash indicates that no product was seen or the pattern was
inconsistent.  In all cases the sizes of the products were
similar to that reported by Konieczny and Ausubel, except as
previously noted by Chip Celenza, the L and C patterns are
reversed for the PVV4 marker.  Our results with WS are the
same as those reported earlier by Michele Champagne.

Marker    ____________Line_______________ Enzyme
          Col  Land  W100  WS   DP23  No0
PVV4      C    L     L     C    L     C
NCC1      -    -     -     -    -     -
GAPB      C    L     L     C    L     C   DdeI
ADH       C    L     L     C    L     C   XbaI
m246      C    L     L     L    L     -
GPA1      C    L     L     C    L     C
m429      C    L     L     L    L     C
GAPC      C    L     L     L    C     C
GAPA      C    L     L     L    L     L
GL1       C    L     -     -    -     -
BGL1      C    L     L     L    L     L   RsaI
GA1       C    L     L     C    L     C
AG        C    L     L     L    L     L
PG11      C    L     L     C    L     L
DHS1      C    L     L     L    C     L   BsaAI
ASA1      C    L     L     L    L     -
DFR       C    L     -     C    C     C
LFY3      C    L     L     L    L     L

Total C:  17   0     0     7    3     8
Total L:  0    17    15    9    13    6

By this limited analysis, WS and No0 seem about equally
divergent from both Columbia and Landsberg.  Not
surprisingly, because of how they were constructed, W100 and
DP23 are very similar to Landsberg.

Tim Caspar