Fluorescent Nucleotide Analogs

KATE at BIO.TAMU.EDU KATE at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Oct 7 15:45:13 EST 1993

On October 5, 1993, <ottcr at esvx17.es.dupont.com> wrote:

> Is anyone interested in trying some new fluorescent
> nucleotide analogs for fluorescence in situ hybridization,
> point mutation analysis or genome mapping?

This posting brought a swift rebuke for commercial advertising on
the network, which snuffed out further discussion.  But the
information raised interesting questions in my mind.  We are just
starting to use in situ hybridization, and I have wondered about the
relative merits of using radiolabeled probes, vs. digoxygenin labeled
probes, vs. probes incorporating fluorescent nucleotide analogs.  Are
the latter adequate for detecting mRNAs in tissue?  If a digoxygenin-
labeled riboprobe is used, followed by fluorescein-tagged anti-
digoxygenin, is sensitivity improved?  Is resolution diminished?
When using digoxygenin-labeled probes, is the signal amplified by
incorporating an additional antibody step into the protocol (e.g.
sheep anti-digoxygenin, followed by rabbit anti-sheep/FITC)?

these points.  If they are directed to me, I will sort and edit the

Kate VandenBosch
Department of Biology
Texas A & M University
College Station, TX 77843