We've come a long way. (was: Cab/GUS fusion line)

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 14 15:04:11 EST 1993

In article <01H428Y4T89U8WXUMP at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU> DDPENNA at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (Dean DellaPenna) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>
>        Can anyone make available seed from a reasonably  well
>characterized transgenic Arabidopsis line homozygous for  a Cab
>promoter:GUS reporter construct? The ideal line would contain sufficient
... rest deleted
>easier.    Thanks, Dean DellaPenna
>Dean Della Penna
>University of Arizona

This message hit me with a hefty dose of perspective. Imagine if someone
had told you 10 years ago that in 1993 people would be able to log onto
a worldwide computer network and post a message to a newsgroup devoted
specifically to the molecular biology of a Arabidopsis, asking for
seeds of a line that were genetically engineered to contain an easy
to assay bacterial gene driven by a particular plant promoter --- AND
have a very good expectation that at least one or more would be readily
available in somebody's collection! Just like running next door for a cup
of sugar!

NOW try to visualize 2003.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  A question is like a knife that slices
University of Manitoba          |  through the stage backdrop and gives us
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  a look at what lies hidden behind.
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  Milan Kundera, THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS
FAX:            204-261-5732    |  OF BEING