Outcrossing rates?

Stewart Schultz stewart at monster.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 18 20:09:25 EST 1993

We have an experiment running in the growth chamber that
requires very low rates of outcrossing, and 2000 plants are
maintained at a density of about 50 per square foot.  Are
there any estimates of spontaneous outcrossing rate under
such conditions?  The maximum rate estimated in wild Britain
populations of A. thaliana by Abbott and Gomes is about 0.003,
but the density of these populations was unrecorded.

We'd like to keep the rate below 0.001, and are considering
constructing some kind of screening system if necessary.
Any info on this problem is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stewart Schultz   schultz at monster.uoregon.edu