Fifth Gatlinburg Symposium

GSTACEY at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU GSTACEY at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Tue Oct 26 15:33:18 EST 1993

The Center for Legume Research at the University of Tennessee will hold the
Fifth Gatlinburg Plant Science Symposium from May 25-28, 1994. The theme
for this meeting will be "COMMERCIAL APPLICATION OF PLANT BIOLOGY". The
first flyers announcing this meeting are just being mailed. Topics to be
covered at the meeting include: plant transformation for insect, herbicide
and virus resistance, value-added plants, plant gene analysis,
marker-assisted breeding strategies, bioremediation, bioreactors,
pharmaceutical production, plant tissue culture, and others.

The purpose of the meeting is to bring together industrial, academic, and
governmental researchers interested in all aspects of plant biology and to
discuss the potential for commercialization. Non-science talks will cover
legal, ethical, and creative aspects of plant biotechnology. The meeting is
focused on plant scientists in the Southeastern US, but all interested
persons are welcome.  Although planning for the meeting is at an early
stage, we already have committments from several plant biotech firms. We
invite other plant biotechnology firms to participate. In addition, we
would like to attract academic and governmental plant scientists who
believe that their research has commercial potential and who would like the
opportunity to present their work to the plant biotechnology community.

The purpose of the Gatlinburg Symposium series is to provide a focused
forum to discuss timely topics in plant science and to bring together plant
scientists, specifically from the Southeastern U.S. For that reason, as in
past symposium, we invite the participation of postdoctoral and graduate
students. A poster session will be held. It is the policy of the meeting
that posters dealing with any plant science subject, not necessarily
related to the overall meeting theme, can be presented during the poster
session. In this way, we hope to attract the widest possible plant science
audience.

The meeting usually attracts approximately 100 participants. Registration
will be approximately $120. Accomodation will be available in a low cost
(good quality) dormitory or city hotels next to the conference site.

Individuals wishing registration material or further information can
contact me at the email address above or contact Dr. Peter Gresshoff at the
address below:

Dr. Peter Gresshoff
Plant Molecular Genetics
The University of Tennessee