(none)

Hirokazu KOBAYASHI hirokazu at u-shizuoka-ken.ac.jp
Thu Oct 28 23:42:16 EST 1993

Subject:  Reply to a question of DNA DipStick

Dear Netters:

I send my comments to the question by Stefan Trentmann about DNA DipStick
(Invitrogen) to the newsgroup, as I think it might be useful for others.

We are sure DNA DipStick satisfactorily detects a low amount of total
cellular RNA (0.5 - 10 nanograms/microliter) from Arabidopsis thaliana.
However, we were not able to accurately determine the amount, because the
detection is by coloration.  We employ DNA DipStick when measurement by
spectrophotometer is impossible, for instance, in the presence of the RNase
inhibitor aurintricarboxylic acid (Fig. 5, H. Kobayashi et al., Plant Physiol.
85, 757, 1987) in the sample solution.  Additionally DNA DipStick non-
specifically detects double- and single-stranded nucleic acids.

Hiro Kobayashi
UNIVERSITY OF SHIZUOKA
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR BASIC BIOLOGY (Adjunct)
e-mail:  hirokazu at u-shizuoka-ken.ac.jp
fax:  +81(Japan)-54-264-5582