Unconventional Intron Boundaries?

mmelan at marcie.wellesley.edu mmelan at marcie.wellesley.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:15:21 EST 1993

Dear Arabinetters,
        We have been sequencing the genomic DNA for our gene and have come
across an intron with borders that are significantly different from the
consensus sequence.  All of the other introns in our gene have the expected
intron-exon border sequences.  Our odd ball sequences are:

5' border:     exon  CCACT|GGTAA  intron
3' border    intron  TTGCA|GGATG  exon

        I consulted Mike Cherry's intron-exon frequency chart that was posted
here last year and found that for some of the positions our sequences are
very rare.  So my question is....Is this a "real" intron or some kind of
bizarre insertion?  and is it unheard of for an intron to have unconventional
borders?  Please send answers either to my e-mail address below or post to this
group if you think the info is of general interest.  Thanks a million!

Melissa Melan                           mmelan at lucy.wellesley.edu
Department of Biological Sciences
Wellesley College
Wellesley, MA  02181