post doctoral position

jonesj at uk.ac.afrc jonesj at uk.ac.afrc
Tue Sep 14 08:46:00 EST 1993

THE SAINSBURY LABORATORY
John Innes Centre, Norwich

Postdoctoral Position available to clone and characterise
RPP5, an Arabidopsis gene for resistance to Peronospora parasitica.

	An experienced molecular biologist is sought for
a post doctoral research position currently available at
the Sainsbury Laboratory to  clone RPP5, an Arabidopsis.
disease resistance gene present in land race Landsberg
but absent in land race Columbia. This gene  confers
resistance to specific races of the oomycete pathogen,
Peronospora parasitica.
(see Koch and Slusarenko(1990),  Plant Cell 2 437-445).
	Currently we have mapped RPP5 to a ~1 cM interval on
chromosome 4 between the RFLP markers m226 and g4539
(Parker,J., Szabo,V. et al, Plant Journal, in press).  With
the help of R Schmidt, a physical contig has been
established between these markers, and the gene has been
localised to a 300 kb region.  We are currently screening
for more recombinants to localise the gene more precisely,
prior to isolating binary vector cosmid clones from this region
from a La-er library, and using them to transform the disease
sensitive No-0 land race,  to look for disease resistance.  This will
lead to characterisation of the gene, its transcript and its gene
product,  and to studies on allelic variation at the locus,  and a
search for homologues in other species and at other loci.  We will
also initiate experiments to test whether the RPP5 gene
confers downy mildew resistance in other species.

	 Applicants should send their CV and the names and
addresses of 3 referees as soon as possible , and before
October 22nd 1993, to the Personnel Officer, John Innes Centre,
Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UH.  quoting reference number SL/ 814.

For enquiries,  please contact Jonathan Jones,
The Sainsbury Laboratory,  John Innes Centre,  Colney Lane,
Norwich NR4 7UH.  I can be contacted
by email at  jonesj at jii.afrc.ac.uk,  by fax at (44) 603 250024 or by
phone at (44) 603 52571.