dominance designations

barton at VMS2.MACC.WISC.EDU barton at VMS2.MACC.WISC.EDU
Sat Sep 18 12:39:07 EST 1993

Suggestions from another system.

In C.elegans, dominance is often indicated by a suffix to the allele
designation. So for instance lin-12(d) means lin twelve dominant. Other
suffixes can be added to indicate other attributes of a particular allele.
For instance lin-12(ts), lin-12(null), lin-12(gf), lin-12(lf), lin-12(rf),
lin-12(sd) are used to indicate temperature sensitivity, "nullity",
gain-of-function, loss-of-function, reduction of function or semi-dominance
respectively. Such suffixes are not mandatory and most recessive alleles
bear no suffix. (For any ex-wormbreeders out there, I know I've simplified
this a bit, but I thought it would be easier to leave out the  "n403s",
etc.).
        In Arabidopsis this might work as ap1-36(ts) or gl1-43(d). Note
that numerical allele designations are kept. It is a simple, flexible
system that has worked well for the worm folks and a set of standard
suffixes could be agreed upon for Arabidopsis. As for compatibility with
databases, the worm community was responsible for developing the database
on which AAtdb is based. Presumably this means that such a system can be
accomodated by AAtdb.

Kathy Barton
Dept. of Genetics
445 Henry Mall