nothing is simple for long

C. Robertson McClung C.Robertson.McClung at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Sat Sep 18 13:56:16 EST 1993

The inclusion of + and - superscripts is redundant if we use the MUT versus
mut (in italics, of course) nomenclature that has been recommended.  I much
prefer MUT/mut to superscripts for ease of typing and for clarity of
expression.  The + and - system, which I have used with Neurospora, can be
(in my opinion) quite cumbersome in practice.  Also, I think that inherent in
the use of + and - there is an oversimplification that there are two and only
two categories of alleles.  MUT/mut does not avoid that potential
oversimplification, of course.

The optional inclusion of (gf) (lf) (d) information, as done in worms, does
offer the reader potentially useful information at a glance.  I would hate to
read a paper on vulval differentiation without it.  When the committee
decided against adding dominance information, were they specifically
rejecting that aspect of the system used in worms?

rob mcclung