Nuc. Acid Biochem.?

Vance Baird vance_baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU
Tue Sep 28 14:51:42 EST 1993

                       Subject:                               Time:2:31 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Nuc. Acid Biochem.?                    Date:9/28/93
I have a possibly trivial, but definetly nagging, question about the "standard"
alkali maxi-/mini-prep for preparing plasmid DNA.
Could/would someone please provide an explanation, reference(s), etc. of why
the pH (4.5-6.2) and formulation (Na-, K-, NH4- acetate; acetic acid, formic
acid, etc.) of neutralization "Solution #3" vary from one version to the next?
I don't recall any indepth discussion of the function for the various
components other than to form insoluble precipitates of
protein/polysac./DS/acetate.
Thanks for the consultation.