Nuc. Acid Biochem.?

Alex Borovkov borovkov at plains.NoDak.edu
Wed Sep 29 10:23:04 EST 1993

Vance Baird (vance_baird at QUICKMAIL.CLEMSON.EDU) wrote:

:                        Subject:                               Time:2:31 PM
:   OFFICE MEMO          Nuc. Acid Biochem.?                    Date:9/28/93
: I have a possibly trivial, but definetly nagging, question about the "standard"
: alkali maxi-/mini-prep for preparing plasmid DNA.
: Could/would someone please provide an explanation, reference(s), etc. of why
: the pH (4.5-6.2) and formulation (Na-, K-, NH4- acetate; acetic acid, formic
: acid, etc.) of neutralization "Solution #3" vary from one version to the next?
: I don't recall any indepth discussion of the function for the various
: components other than to form insoluble precipitates of
: protein/polysac./DS/acetate.
: Thanks for the consultation.

I think it wouldn't make any difference. All that it supposed to do is quickly
neutralize the NaOH solution for reannealing the DNA. It results in
conglomeration the bacterial DNA and dropping it out of solution.
--
Dr. Alex Borovkov,                    | Please excuse me for my English.
Plant Pathology Dept.,                | My Russian is getting worse too