ave. size of plant transcripts

Anne Britt abbritt at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Aug 9 18:59:56 EST 1994

        Plant primary transcripts (not just arabidopsis, but most plants)
tend to be  smaller than animal transcripts, as plant transcriptional
units, like animals, have introns, but the introns are small.  Does anybody
have a nice quotable reference (or two) stating an average size for animal
vs plant transcriptional units?  I would think this kind of thing would be
in a textbook, but it isn't...  I do have "Molecular Biology of the Cell"
which sets the average animal pol II primary transcript at 7kb.

Thanks,

Anne Britt
Section of Plant Biology
U. C. Davis