In virto aberrations

The Fifth Beatle fredrick at CCS1.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU
Fri Aug 19 01:02:10 EST 1994

My fellow Arabidopsis workers,

In many of my in vitro experiments using Landsberg erecta I observe what I
refer to as "morphological aberrations" at a frequency of approximately
15% - 20%.  Such plants remain in a bushy vegetative state with leaves that
appear larger than normal, and senesce fairly rapidly.
Is this a common in vitro phenomenon for the Landsberg ecotype, or due to
high humidity?  Is this an example of vitrification, and if so why would one
seed grow normally and one remain bushy when both are in the same jar?
I am germinating and subsequently growing seed on MS medium with
phytagel (1.8g/L) in glass jars at 20+/- 2 degrees Celsius under a 16 hour
photoperiod (~60uE/m2/s).

Any comments would be appreciated,

Eugene B Fredericks
Dept. Genetics & Developmental Biology