Hot Arabidopsis - summary

arcady mushegian PPA006 at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Tue Feb 15 09:41:13 EST 1994

Dear Colleagues,
     Thanks to those many of you who replied to my query on what happens to
Arabidopsis at above 32 degrees C. Summary of your responces follows. But
first, let me explain myself.
     My idea is to identify ecotypes or mutants susceptible to certain virus;
the virus might be seed-transmissible, so it would be nice to get virus-free
seeds by using virus ts-mutant; this can only work if seed production is not
strongly affected by the temperature at which virus is restricted.
     From your responces it is evident that there is no way to grow plants seed
to seed at about 30 or higher. One problem that was highlighted is that fertile
pollen will not develop (although if daily drops below 25 are allowed, things
might work; conditions for this are not really  defined yet). Once grown and po
llinated at below 25, plant is relatively tolerant to constitutive 32-35 degree
s and still yields reasonable amount of seeds.
     I was reminded that the actual leaf temperature can be 2 to 4 grades below
the air temperature due to transpiration.
     Finally, the reference was sent to me:
     J.Langridge and B.Griffing (1959) A study of high temperature lesions in
 Arabidopsis thaliana. Australian J. of Biol. Sciences 12: 117-135
     The authors studied vegetative growth of various ecotypes in the interval
 of 25 thrgh  31.5 degrees. Only few of the ecotypes displayed unaffected growt
h at elevated temperatures. Amoung the currently widespread ones are Landsberg
(as I understand, not erecta) and Bensheim. No word of the fertility, however.
                                            Best Regards,
                                                           Arcady