Adventitious roots

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 11:57:17 EST 1994

I have seen an unusual root response on Arabidopsis seedlings
growing on a plate contaminated with a fungus which I thought
might be of interest to those interested in root and
hypocotyl development.  These seedlings were 2 weeks old,
growing on 0.5X MS with 1% sucrose and a small amount of
thiamine and had been contaminated for at least a week.  The
primary, lateral and secondary roots were severely deformed
and damaged by the fungal infection.  However, what I assume
are adventitious roots were forming at various positions
along the hypocotyls.  Each seedling had from 0 to 7 of these
adventitious roots (average about 3).  These roots appeared
to form from a tissue layer within the hypocotyl and then
split the epidermis, and apparently an additional cell layer
or 2, as they emerged from the hypocotyl.  The end result was
a root emerging from a vertical slit in the hypocotyl about 6
times as long as the diameter of the adventitious root.  The
edges of these slits  were quite straight and uniform and
they made it possible to view the inside of the hypocotyl.
In some cases there were multiple roots (up to 3) emerging
from a single slit.  The adventitious roots looked
superficially like the normal roots of uninfected seedlings.
I'm hoping someone out there can tell me whether this type of
adventitious root formation is a normal response to fungal
infection or (general stress) or whether this is something
unusual.  Also, is this the normal way in which adventitious
roots form in Arabidopsis?

Thanks,
Tim Caspar
DuPont Central Research and Development