post-doctoral position available

Roger Innes rinnes at bio.indiana.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:54:31 EST 1994

Dear colleagues:

Please bring this ad to the attention of qualified individuals.
Interested people can can contact me by phone, fax or e-mail.

A post-doctoral position is currently available in my laboratory to study
molecular aspects of plant-pathogen interactions in Arabidopsis and
soybean.  This position is funded for two years, with possibility of
renewal.

We are investigating the molecular mechanism underlying plant disease
resistance (R) gene specificity (i.e. how do R-gene products distinguish
between different pathogen ellicitors?).  We have identified a disease
resistance gene, RPS3,  in Arabidopsis that appears to be a homolog of the
RPG1 disease resistance gene in soybean (Innes et al.  (1993) Plant J.
4:813-820).  Both RPS3 and RPG1 confer resistance to strains of
Pseudomonas syringae that carry the avrB avirulence gene.  The Arabidopsis
gene,  RPS3, is of particular interest because it interacts with a second
avirulence gene, avrRpm1, and thus has a dual specificity.  Soybean, in
contrast, appears to have split these two specificities into two different
alleles of RPG1, one specific for avrB, and the other specific for
avrRpm1.  We now wish to isolate these two alleles of RPG1 and then
compare and contrast them to RPS3.  The successful applicant will be
expected to contribute to this analysis, but also will  have freedom to
pursue other areas of molecular plant-pathogen interactions according to
her or his interests.

Experience in molecular biology is essential, and experience with protein
biochemistry is desirable.  Interested individuals should submit a CV and
the names and addresses of 3 references, by either electronic or standard
mail.  Indiana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer.

Roger Innes
Department of Biology
Indiana University