Arabidopsis Seed Sowing

Mark Watson watson at dogwood.botany.uga.edu
Fri Jun 10 10:28:04 EST 1994

Hello Netpeople,

Here is a simple tip for sowing Arabidopsis seeds I noticed after sprinkling
cayenne pepper on my lunch a while back.  It works well for dispersing dry
seeds relatively evenly spaced on a flat or pot.  It is as simple as making
several holes in the cap of a disposible centrifuge tube (i.e. 14 ml conical
Corning) add your seeds and use like a pepper shaker.  (I use a 18 gauge
needle and make about 6 holes).  To store, just wrap top with parafilm or
replace cap with new one.  This is much easier than trying to mix the seeds
with sand ect. then sowing.
This may be common practice, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning it when
the question of Arabidopsis seed sowing was bouncing around a while back.
Enjoy,
Mark
UGA Botany Dept.