Sorbarod propagation of regenerants

Jim Haseloff jph at MRC-LMB.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 12:50:32 EST 1994

Dear Colleagues,
																	We're looking for ways to decrease our workload during a
screen of Agrobacterium - root transformed Arabidopsis lines - and are
hoping to improve the acclimatisation and seed-set of regenerating
seedlings. Does anyone have any advice concerning the use of Sorbarod
Micropropagation Systems for Arabidopsis acclimatisation and transfer to
soil?

(Sorbarod is the trade name for cellulose plugs which are packed into
sterile ventilated plastic trays 60 or 103 at a time, liquid rooting medium
is added to the tray and plantlets are inserted into the plugs. The trays
are useful for hardening propagules before transfer of individual shoots
(with plug) to soil. They're made by Baumgatner Papiers in Switzerland, and
are now sold by Sigma.)

							  There is an encouraging article describing their general use in
Methods in Mol. Biol., vol 6, Plant Cell and Tissue Culture, by Roberts,
Smith & Mottley - "The preparation of micropropagated plantlets for
transfer to soil without acclimatization" - but I was wondering whether any
Arabidopsophiles had more advice or warnings about their use? The above
article also mentions the use of paclobutrazol to aim acclimatisation, and
that it is available incorporated at various levels into the Sorbarods
during manufacture. Anybody used paclobutrazol during Arabidopsis
transformation?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jim Haseloff, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology.