Foreign Postdocs

mclutter at NSF.GOV mclutter at NSF.GOV
Wed Mar 23 18:17:19 EST 1994

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
Foreign Postdocs

>          I am interested in the reasons for opposition to
>          international research experience.
>
>          MEC

And remember that doing a postdoc abroad puts a whopping constraint on one's
ability to explore and exploit thoroughly what is already a monumentally
tough job market back here in the states.  More often than not, the plan and
practice is "I'll do a second postdoc back in the USA so I can get a
job...(insert genuflection here)".

Tom Jacobs
U. of Illinois
tom_jacobs at qms1.life.uiuc.edu
          We recognize this problem and will make adjustments in the
          new program to permit "job" trips as well as funding
          following the foreign experience.

          MEC