NSF Postdoctoral Fellows

mclutter at NSF.GOV mclutter at NSF.GOV
Wed Mar 23 19:02:15 EST 1994

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
I have followed with interest the comments on a foreign component to NSF
postdoctoral research fellowships (although I haven't read the relevant
guidelines).  Based on my experiences in 1976-78 as a foreign postdoc in
the US, I thoroughly endorse the concept, which follows a long line of
similar programs including Rhodes Scholarships, Harkness Fellowships, NATO
postdocs, Fulbright's, etc.

I am sympathetic to the problems cited by our unnamed NSF postdoc.  To solve
some of them, I'd suggest NSF establishing a prestitigous program similar
to the NIH FIRST program, but with a twist.  Make recipients spend the
first two years in Europe, and the last three in the States.  Provide
sufficient funds for supplies, travel and health insurance, and ensure
recipient institutions play ball regarding unreasonable seizure of indirect
costs!
          NSF actually had the first FIRST program. It was called the
          Presidential Young Investigator program and began in 1982, I
          think. I can't remember even though I + 3 others wrote the
          program. It lasted until 1991. Some plant people were
          awardees. In 1991 the program was revised and called
          Presidential Faculty Fellows. In addition we have NSF Young
          Investigator awards. They provide up to $100K/year for 5
          years. Next year we will have a Faculty Early Career
          Development program. In BIO support will be for 5 years at
          $100K/year. These awards are actually better than the FIRST
          awards--hard as that may be to believe.     MEC
David Galbraith