Ten Things I Don't Know

COTE at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU COTE at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU
Fri May 6 08:54:45 EST 1994

Dear Dr Maholland and everyone else interested,
     I really meant to give the "Ten things I don't know..." query a good
deal of thought.  It sounds like an exciting way to teach a basic level
 plant bio course, and I like to think about how best to teach.  However,
I've been too pressed for time to think much on it.
     I do strongly suggest that one question be: "How do plants tell time?"
The phenomena of circadian rhythms, photoperiodism, circannual rhythms (are
they even real?) are still poorly unerstood, despite recent amazing progress.
     If it's not too much trouble I would indeed like to see a syllabus.
Right now I mostly teach biochemistry, but I might someday be in your position.
     (A more nebulous thought--How do plants keep from burning up in photo-
synthesis? Photosynthetic electron transport reactions are among the most
ferocious in biochemistry.)
     ---Gary Cote (UCONN MCB)