Cheaper Vancomycin?

Melissa Melan mmelan at
Fri May 13 10:29:47 EST 1994

Dear Xiaoying,

        I don't know if this will be helpful to you, as your Agro strain is
carbenicillin resistant, but others may find this information useful.

        A cheaper carbenicillin substitute is Ticarcillin.  You can get 1-2g
of it free of charge from SmithKline Beecham but it takes about 2-3 months and
a bit of paperwork certifying that it will not be used on humans or animals to
get it.  My contact at SKB was Christine Blumhardt (215) 751-4000.
        If you know a physician who will write you a prescription you can get
Ticarcillin through your local pharmacy as well.  We got 10 1g vials for about
$40.  This was a significant savings over any other commercial suppliers of

        Hope that this is helpful.
Melissa Melan                           mmelan at
Department of Biological Sciences
Wellesley College
Wellesley, MA  02181