Info on Inducible Promoters?

Melissa Melan mmelan at marcie.wellesley.edu
Fri May 13 10:43:28 EST 1994

        Since we're on the subject of transgenic plants......
I'd like to get any information about the availability, advantages or
disadvantages of any inducible promoter cloning vectors for Agro that are"out
there".
        We have been trying to make transgenic plants that have sense and
antisense constructs behind the CMV 35S promoter.  Our putative transformants sofar have been quite sickly, with reduced fertility and in some cases just
bizarre in phenotype.  This may be due in part to the fact that our gene is
present in a single copy and therefore any manipulations of its expression has
drastic consequences.  Hence our interest in an inducible system.

        Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  I will post a summary if
there are several responses.  Thanks in advance.
Melissa Melan                                   mmelan at lucy.wellesley.edu
Department of Biological Sciences
Wellesley College
Wellesley, MA  02181