arabidopsis seeds

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Sun May 22 14:05:00 EST 1994

In Article <2rirqs$rjo at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "STEPHEN A ROLFE <S.Rolfe at sheffield.ac.uk>" says:
> Dear netters
>
> Please excuse this extremely lo-tech question.  What is the best way
> to evenly disperse seeds on an agar plate for kanamycin selection?  I
> sterilise the seed in 10% bleach with a drop of detergent followed by
> several water washes.  This works fine - I don't get bugs on my
> plates.  However the seeds do aggregate when placed on the plate
> which is a bit of a pain.  I wondered about suspending the seeds
> in a .1% agar solution but this is a bit inconvenient.  If anyone has
> a wonderful idea then I would be very grateful to hear it.  I am
> slightly wary of using dry seed sterilised by microwaves after
> previous debates on this matter.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Steve Rolfe
>
> s.rolfe at sheffield.ac.uk

.
As far as I know, there is no easy answer.  I like Kathy's method, but I
recently tried a new one that you may like.  Sterilize the seeds in an eppy
tube and pour them onto a sterile scintered glass vacuum filter aperatus
(with or without filter).  Vacuum the bleach soln through, and follow with
several rinses.  After sucking the last rinse through, use a sterile
disecting needle to pick the seeds up one by one and touch them to the agar.
Certainly no easier than Kathy's method, but no harder either.  depending
on your taste, you make like this one better.  Good luck.
.
Lenny Bloksberg
.
.