plating seeds with P-1000

Pierre Hilson PHILSON at MACC.WISC.EDU
Mon May 23 12:59:22 EST 1994

To the seed platers using a P-1000.

Me too, I plated using a P-1000 applying a steady pressure for the seeds
to come out one by one.  Then, I realized that an easier way is to load a
1000 ul tip with the seeds using the P-1000 (not more than 100 to 200 in
no more than 200 ul, because otherwise it will flow out), but then to take
off the loaded tip and to deposit seeds individually by gently touching
the surface of the agar with it.  It works very well if the seeds are not
too small (that varies from badge to badge).  With a little bit of training
you will learn how to play with the inclination of the tip to adjust the
pressure applied to the outcoming seed.

Good luck.

Pierre Hilson
Laboratory of Genetics