IMPORTANT- PLEASE READ & RESPOND

Joe Ecker jecker at ATGENOME.BIO.UPENN.EDU
Tue May 31 13:21:15 EST 1994

Dear Arabidopsis Researchers,

On June 8 and 9 the North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee-NAASC,
(current members are: Ausubel, Chory, Estelle, Ecker, Meinke and Nina Fedoroff
-substitute for Gloria Coruzzi, will meet at NSF headquarters along with
members of the Multinational Steering Committee, genome experts and
representative from the federal granting agencies to discuss issues related to
mapping and sequencing of the Arabidopsis genome.   As stated in "A Long-Range
Plan for the Multinational Coordinated Arabidopsis thaliana Genome Research
Project" (NSF document 90-80),  the mission of this project is to "identify
all of the genes by any means and to determine the complete sequence of the
Arabidopsis thaliana genome before the year 2000".

The purpose of the NAASC workshop is to assess the progress in meeting our
short and long term goals in the areas of mapping and sequencing of the
Arabidopsis genome and make specific recommendations to direct future US
efforts for the Multinational Coordinated Arabidopsis Genome Research Project.
We will produce a short report on the needs for future genome-related efforts
for the US federal funding agencies.

We want everyone to be included in this discussion and so we are soliciting
your input into this report.  Please read over the following questions and the
comment back either to the network or to me directly.  We shall consider all
of your comments at the workshop.

Please read and respond to the following questions:

1. Do you think that we are ready to begin some level of directed genome
sequencing in the US?

2. How important is genome sequencing in terms of funding priorities (vs.
placing cDNAs on the map, completion of the physical map, adding more
PCR-based markers to the map, etc.)?

3. Who should support systematic genome sequencing if it is a big-$ effort?

4. What impact on Arabidopsis research will be incurred if sequencing does not
begin today (in 2 years; in 5 years,  in 10 years)?

5. What type of organizational model for genome sequencing would you support:
sequencing centers vs. individual interested labs?

6. What quality standards would you expect for the sequence: high or low
accuracy (high accuracy = higher cost)?

7. ANY SPECIFIC OR GENERAL COMMENTS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE!

The committee looks forward to your comments on these important issues.

Sincerely,

Joe Ecker (for the NAASC)
Univ. of Pennsylvania
fax (215) 898-8780