growing plants

Imran Siddiqui imran at ccmb.uunet.in
Tue Nov 1 18:54:10 EST 1994

Dear Netters,

	I've been having a problem with growing plants and would be
grateful for suggestions on how to solve it. Vegetative and adult
growth is fine with lots of growth and siliques. Towards the end of
the life cycle the plant starts to droop from the top and eventually
collapses and dries out form top downwards. Most of the seeds are
small, shrivelled, and flaky with poor germination in thenext generation.
I found no evidence of fungal or insect pathogens on microscopic
examination and suspect the problem may be physiological: maybe too
much water or nutrients. I'm checking this out but in the meantime
if somebody has come across something similar please let me know.

	I grow plants on illuminated racks in 2" square pots. Medium
is 1/3 peat:vermiculite:perlite. Subirrigation is done 1-2 times a
week for 1/2-1 hour using the Somerville nutrient solution. Tubelights
are 14" above soil surface and illumination is 8,000 lux at soil level.
Temperature under lights is 20-23 deg C and humidity is 60-70%.

Thanks,
Imran Siddiqi
CCMB
Uppal Road