Apoptosis vs abscission

Tobias Baskin baskin at BIOSCI.MBP.MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Nov 17 09:51:24 EST 1994

Greetings,
          I was fascinated to learn that apoptosis comes from the Greek
word for what botanists now call abscission. My understanding is that the
process of abscission is certainly a process of programmed cell death. Does
today's use of the word apoptosis cover the type of program involved in
abscission? Or does the program implied by apoptosis refer to a specific
sort of cell death program?  In a recent lecture I also heard someone refer
to the programmed cell death in endosperm as apoptosis. Do these botanical
uses of apoptosis fit into the definition now current in the animal cell
biology field?

        Comments?
                Tobias Baskin

       ___     ____   ^         ____        _____    Tobias I. Baskin
      /   \   /      / \       /    \      /        University of Missouri
     /    |  /      /   \     /           /        Biological Sciences
    /___ /  /__    /_____\   /           /__      109 Tucker Hall
   /       /      /       \  (          /        Columbia, MO 65211 USA
  /       /      /         \  \        /        voice: 314-882-0173
 /       /____  /           \  \____/ /_____   fax: 314-882-0123