Sigma Phytagel and vitreous plants.

Marc Crepeau ez018859 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 25 01:34:10 EST 1994

	I have been growing transgenic Arabidopsis for some time now on MS
media solidified with Sigma's Phytagel. Occasionally, a few of my
seedlings will develop a 'vitreous' condition in which the leaves appear
translucent, sometimes almost to the point of transparency. This seems to
occur more frequently if the plants are over-crowded in their petri
dishes. Other than that, I have not been able to pin down the cause.  One
person I spoke with suggested that the Phytagel I am using might be part
of the problem. He told me he had heard that Phytagel can cause problems
with Arabidopsis, although he couldn't give me any solid information.
	I am doing a small study now to compare germination and growth of
my transgenic and wild-type seeds on Sigma Phytagel versus Gibco Phytagar.
But I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the cause of the
'vitreous' condition, and/or the compatibility of Arabidopsis and
Phytagel?

Marc Crepeau
Dept. of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of California at Davis