RNA prep (Verwoerd et al)

DELANEY 919-541-8577 DELANEYT at am.abru.cg.com
Tue Nov 29 15:48:04 EST 1994

A few daze ago, Carolyn M. Wetzel wrote:

>On 15 Sept 1994, Terry Delaney posted a protocol for
>rapid RNA preps from Arabidopsis.  I've used it quite
>successfully.  Perhaps you could post it again, Terry, if you if
>you still have it on file?
>Otherwise, for the person who asked:  see Verwoerd et al.,
(1989) NAR 17:  2362.

>-Carolyn

I'm glad protocol works well for you, Carolyn.  Here is a
reposting of the method.

-Terry
--

RAPID Arabidopsis RNA PREPS

1. Take leaf sample (one leaf sufficient if plant is
quarter-sized or larger) at 3-4 weeks after planting, place
into liquid nitrogen filled eppindorf and grind using drill
(and plastic pestle (e.g. Kontes)), keep on dry ice until ready
to extract, or store at -20°C.

2. Add 500 ul 80 C 1:1 phenol (water saturated) to extraction
buffer, vortex.

EXTRACTION BUFFER:
100 mM LiCl
100 mM tris pH 8.0
10 mM EDTA
1.0 % SDS

3. Add 250 ul chloroform, vortex.

4. Spin five minutes or more.

5. Take aqueous phase and add to 1/10 volume of 3.0 M NaOAc,
then add 2 volumes ETOH, place on ice or at -20 C, approx 30
minutes.

6. Spin 10 minutes in microfuge, dry pellet

7A. Resuspend in water (for one leaf use approx 5.5 ul;

7B. Or to reprecipitate, and clean up further, do a LiCl
precipitation:
        Resuspend in water:     320 ul
        Add 8M LiCl             200 ul  (3M LiCl final)
        ON @ 5 C or -20 C for a few hours.
        Pellet, wash with 80% ETOH.
        Resus in water (5.5 ul or more for larger sample)
Will later add 19.5 loading mix, and after heating (65°C 10')
load half onto gel (unless very small plant, then use all).

(per sample):                     or for 20 samples:
12.5 ul formamide/BfB/XC*               250 ul
4.25 ul formaldehyde                     85 ul
2.5 ul   10x MSE buffer                  50 ul
0.1 ul   EtBr (10 mg/ml)                  2 ul

*formamide/BfB/XC:
10 mg bromophenol blue
10 mg xylene cyanol
100 g formamide

RNA GEL (300 mls):
260 ml water
30 ml 10X MSE buffer
3.6 g agarose
9.0 ml formaldehyde (add in hood after melted
gel has cooled to touch)

For 1000 mls 10X MSE buffer:
200 mM MOPS     41.86 g free acid
50 mM NaOAc     16.6 ml 3.0 M (pH = 5.2)
10 mM EDTA      20 ml 0.5 M

pH to 7.0 with NaOH, autoclave, turns yellow.

Reference:
Verwoerd, TC, Dekker, BMM, Hoekema, A (1989). A small-scale
procedure for the rapid isolation of plant RNAs.  NAR 17: 2362