RNA prep (Verwoerd et al)

simon at biochem.umass.edu simon at biochem.umass.edu
Wed Nov 30 08:37:15 EST 1994

Dear Netters:

Terry Delaney recently posted a simplified RNA miniprep that is very
similar to the method that we use to prepare 100s of samples each week.
However, for those who want to use LiCl (removes DNA and dsRNA and makes
gels look much nicer), there is no need to wait a few hours.  We resuspend
our RNA (after phenol/chloroform/ethanol ppt) in 0.3 ml of ice cold
2 M LiCl by pipeting the pellet up and down and vigorous vortexing.  The
RNA remains insoluble and can be pelleted immediately by centrifugation.
Leaving the RNA on ice for several hours does increase your yield slightly,
but this is not normally necessary for minipreps.

Anne Simon
Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University of Massachusetts (we're #1!!!!! [for you basketball fans])
simon at biochem.umass.edu