overlapping 3'-ends of two different mRNAs

Fumiaki Katagiri katagiri at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 13 10:05:07 EST 1994

Dear netters,

        I found a case in which two adjacent genes in Arabidopsis
transcribed in the opposite orientations have a 124-bp overlap at the
3'-ends of their mRNAs.  These are the disease resistance gene RPS2 and the
casein kinase I-like gene on chromosome IV (please see Mindrinos et al.
(1994) Cell 78, 1089-1099, Fig. 1D).  RPS2 encodes two transcript species
that have length difference in their 3'-untranslated regions.  The larger
RPS2 transcript has the overlap with the casein kinase I-like transcript.
Both mRNAs are attached with poly A following this overlap region.  Does
anybody know such a case in plants, or in eukaryotes?  If there are such
cases, are anything known about the function of overlapping sequences
(regulatory, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,

Fumi Katagiri

Ausubel Lab