Sectioning Arabidopsis

Meisel, Lee A meisel at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Sep 2 13:01:41 EST 1994

Hello,

Presently I am trying to section Arabidopsis leaves, roots and meristems in
order to better understand a mutant we have isolated.  I would appreciate it if
anyone in Arabidopsis land could provide me with any tips about histological
sections in Arabidopsis.  For example:

1.  What is the best fixative for looking at morphological structures (does the
fixative make a difference?)?
2.  What plastic resins  are best?
3.  How many um can you reliably section with paraplast + or plastic resins.

4.  Are there any tricks to orienting the tissue properly?
5.  What staining techniques are best for leaves, meristems, etc.
6.  I have been having problems with my sections staying on ProbeOn plus
slides,  does polylysine coating provide better adhesion?
7.  What is the best way to reduce compression of your tissue while sectioning?
 How do you know that there is not a distortion in the cell shape?
8.  Do tungsten carbide knives work as well as glass knives in cutting plastic
resins.
9.  When are plastic resins better than paraplast and when is paraplast better?
10.  Are there any good books describing sectioning and staining plant tissues?
11.  Are there any tips to making things faster, easier or more reliable?

Any information you could provide me with will be greatly appreciated.  No idea
or proceedure is to small.
I'll post a summary of the responses I receive.

Thanks for all your help.

Lee Meisel
meisel at mbcl.rutgers.edu

Waksman Institue                         Phone # 908-932-4296
Rutgers University                        Fax# 908-445-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08904