Sectioning Arabidopsis

David W Wheat Agblade at world.std.com
Sat Sep 3 08:29:42 EST 1994

Some group readers asked for more detail on sectioning plant tissues.  My
previous article referred to Johansen's ''Botanical Microtechnique'' which
was the standard when I was doing this type of work in the 60s and 70s.  The
best way to find out what is current might be to contact someone in a
local department of botany.  I presume they still do plant histology at
the optical level.  Some of the solvents we used to use are probably no-nos
now (we used a lot of toluene).  It's easy to fix, embed, and section this
type of material.  But the easiest way to learn is to have someone who is
already set up to do it walk you through it.  No point in getting all the
equipment and reagents just for a few sections.  Fix your material in
Formalin/Acetic Acid/Alcohol (FAA).  Vacuum infiltrate if its hairy, thick,
woody, etc.  Then call a local plant anatomist and visit her lab for a demo.
Good luck.
David Wheat
dwheat at mcimail.com