Arabidopsis Community Newsletter

plzmlh at vax.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk plzmlh at vax.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 05:14:36 EST 1994

The Multinational Steering Committee recently endorsed the
production of an electronic newsletter for the Arabidopsis
community. Following the committees recommendations and
unanimous vote of confidence, we are happy to announce the
launch of................WEEDS WORLD!

We hope that Weeds World will become a popular forum for the
exchange of information and will be as valuable as the Worm
Breeders Gazette has proved for the C. elegans community.  It will
be distributed through the World Wide Web and also indexed and
carried on the AAtDB Research Companion, Gopher server. In lieu
of having a  hard copy, highlights will be printed in the Plant
Molecular Biology Reporter. The Newsletter will be published three
times a year.

The Newsletter will be produced by Mary Anderson, Sam
Cartinhour, and Randy Scholl. John Morris will archive and index
the newsletter on the AAtDB Research Companion.

The first edition of the newsletter will be published during
November and so we are putting out a call for submissions for the
newsletter now.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS 30TH OCTOBER.

We have prepared files and a demonstration edition outlining all the
information you require to publish in, or read the newsletter.

This is available at all our WWW server sites. Use the following
URLs to connect to the server nearest you.

http://nasc.nott.ac.uk:8300   (Nottingham, UK)
http://weeds.mgh.harvard.edu/weedsworld/home.html   (MGH,
Boston, MA, USA)
http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/aboutaatdb.html   (NAL, Belstville,
MD, USA)

If the information above is totally alien to you, find your local
friendly computer gurus and tell them you wish to access the World
Wide Web.

Below follows an outline of the information displayed on the
WWW.

HOW WILL WEEDS WORLD BE DISTRIBUTED?
The newsletter will be distributed electronically in several different
ways. Weeds World will be constantly available from several World
Wide Web servers, one at Nottingham, the AAtDB WWW server
and the Agricultural Genome WWW Server at the National
Agricultural Library. In addition, the newsletter will be WAIS
indexed by John Morris and held on the Gopher server, the AAtDB
Research Companion at MGH, Boston, so that it can be searched in
the same way as you can currently search  AAtDB, the arab-gen
bulletin board postings and the Nottingham Seed List. Future
issues of the newsletter will also be marked up and linked as far as
possible to one another for easy tracking of scientific developments.

It will be possible to download and print out a text version of Weeds
World from the AAtDB Research Companion, if you wish to have a
hard copy.

Certain articles published in Weeds World will also form a new
Arabidopsis section within the Plant Molecular Biology Reporter.

WHAT SORT OF INFORMATION WILL WEEDS WORLD CARRY?
In the newsletter we hope to present a range of material pertinant to
Arabidopsis research throughout the world.

Articles could include:
1. Short reports, short papers, or slightly longer pieces like those
submitted for publication in the AIS (Arabidopsis Information
Service). The length of the article can be about the length of a
conference abstract (500 words) and preferably no longer than one
page, unless you include figures. The articles can be text only, or
carry images or tables. The reports need not be formal as shown in
the examples but be brief outlines of lab research interests,
background to current work etc.
2. Abstracts from papers in press, just to wet our appetites for the
full paper.
3. Information about upcoming meetings, conferences and courses
4. Technical tips and protocols on all matter of procedures.
5. Announcements from ABRC and NASC about new stocks,
informatics developments and policy decisions.
6. Latest genetic map, gene lists etc
7. Job Announcements
8. Cartoons, or other trivia to brighten up our arabadian lives. All
work and no play, makes Arabidopsis a dull weed, so we intend to
include some fun stuff too.

HOW TO FORMAT TEXT FILES
Start each article with a title and the name and address of authors.
Arrange the text into clearly defined blocks of paragraphs.If images
or tables are to be included, please indicate where you wish them to
be placed.

Articles will not be refereed but some editorial control will operate.

Please indicate whether you wish your piece to be considered for
inclusion in the Plant Molecular Biology Reporter.

HOW TO PREPARE IMAGES
Images can only be accepted as image files (preferably GIF or JPEG
Files), the one exception being cartoon line drawings. If you wish to
send an image and don't have a local computer guru to help prepare
the file contact me at arabidopsis at nottingham.ac.uk for help. Line
drawings must be of high quality with thick lines and high contrast.
Scanning is very labour intensive and we shall only be prepared to
do one or two scans per edition, so try and send your pictures as
image files.

HOW TO SUBMIT ARTICLES AND IMAGES
Text files can be sent by email to arabidopsis at nottingham.ac.uk,
please put "Weeds World Article"in the subject line of the message.
 Try and keep as much formatting as you can when sending text files
as this will make the production editors job much easier.  If your
article contains some fancy formatting, please send a hard copy of
your article to : Mary Anderson, Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock
Centre, Dept of Life Science, Nottingham University, University
Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK.

Files can also be sent on disc (either Mac or PC compatible) along
with a hard copy of your article to the address above.
Sorry, but we will not be able to return discs.

For those of you who are comfortable with ftp, text and graphics
files can be sent by anonymous ftp to nasc.nott.ac.uk

REMEMBER THE DEALINE FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR THE
FIRST ISSUE IS THE 30TH OCTOBER

ANY QUESTIONS?
If you require any further information, please contact
Mary Anderson, arabidopsis at nottingham.ac.uk