Fidelity of polyadenylation in plants

Peter Hare HARE at gate2.cc.unp.ac.za
Tue Sep 13 12:30:03 EST 1994

Could anyone refer me to any reports of variable sites of
addition of a poly(A) tail from a single polyadenylation signal?

I have recently sequenced the 3' end of an Arabidopsis cDNA, the
sequence of which has already been published. The cDNA I have
sequenced has been truncated 7 bp before the sequence published.
In both cases the same polyadenylation signal appears to have
been used. The rest of the 3' untranslated region is identical in
both cDNAs. The two poly(A) tails differ in length by only a
single A.

Is this a common occurrence in transcription of plant genes? None
of the reviews of mRNA 3' formation I have seen mention such a
phenomenon. I would also greatly appreciate any input regarding
how this apparently anomalous situation may have arisen.

Thanks.
Peter Hare

Dept. of Botany
University of Natal