Research perspectives

warne at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU warne at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Thu Apr 27 11:38:07 EST 1995

Dr. Savidge

I believe that you raise some interesting points that are not often
discussed in polite plant social circles. In the plant world, what are you
if you are not an adherent of Arabidopsism?  However, model systems
complementary to Arabidopsis, which are often relegated to footnotes, can
provide some unique possibilites for the advancement of our understanding
of plant physiology, genetics, ecology, etc. Most of these oppotunities
remain untapped and are ripe for the taking (What other cliches should I
use?). Maybe we should get a clue from the animal world in which the
extensive use of SEVERAL model systems, e.g. Drosophila, mouse, C. elegans
and zebrafish, provide an avenue to address differences and similarities
among animal systems and stimulate a rich, productive and synergistic
research environment. The plant sciences field would be heathier and more
resilient if it would embrace alternatives as well. For several years, a
small cadre of devotees have been using one of these complementary model
systems based on the homosporous fern, Ceratopteris, to study fundamental
biological problems that are very difficult or, at present, intractable to
study using Arabidopsis.  An upcoming issue of the International Journal
of Plant Sciences 156(3) will contain 6 papers that review various aspects
of using this simple model plant, the C-fern, in both research and
teaching. In addition, if you are interested in using Ceratopteris please
check out our home page (a work in progress) at
     http://biosci.bio.utk.edu/botany/manualtw.htm
or contact me at warne at utkvx.utk.edu or Les Hickok at lhickok at utk.edu for
additional information.

Thomas R. Warne