AAtDB farewell

John Morris john.morris at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Aug 3 11:00:23 EST 1995

It is with regret that we are sending this announcement of the termination
of the AAtDB curator service.  The release announcement which follows as a
separate email message will be the last one from the AAtDB project located
in the Goodman lab.

There is clearly a need for a database service, as evidenced by discussions
on this news group and the over 1000 daily "transactions" that take place
on our gopher server.  Unfortunately, in these times of tight budgeting,
neither USDA nor NSF appear interested in providing funds for an
Arabidopsis database on a continuing basis.  We are thankful, however, for
the support that the NAL and USDA has provided to us over the past several
years and which has allowed us to establish AAtDB and hopefully thereby
serve at least some of the database needs of the Arabidopsis community.

The hope for the future is that Mike Cherry at the Stanford Genome Center,
as PI of a NSF grant to develop new database software, will have limited
funding for data curation for the Arabidopsis database, and as we
understand it, will be able to begin providing curator activities in the
fall.  In the near term we intend to keep our database server running so
that gopher and web files will be accessible, but questions on the database
will generally not be able to be answered.  We encourage you to pass your
data on to the community using this news group and to set up web servers
for your laboratories.  We hope to have a Goodman lab server in the future.

It has been a pleasure contributing to the dynamic database needs of the
Arabidopsis community.  We thank you for your support.

John Morris
Howard M. Goodman
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital