post-doc?

David Baum dbaum at OEB.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Aug 14 08:58:21 EST 1995

I am posting this message in the hope of attracting a budding plant
developmental biologist to consider postdoc-ing in an evolutionary lab.
Before you read any further you should know that I do NOT have any funds
dedicated to a post-doctoral position right now (I wish!).  However, I
would be happy to sponsor a suitable candidate for a Sloane/NSF
postdoctoral fellowship in molecular evolution and/or for fellowships
available through Harvard.  I think there is a good chance of obtaining
funding through these or other sources.

My lab has, until recently, been involved in plant molecular systematics
and plant molecular evolution.  However, we are now attempting to
understand, at the molecular level, how plant morphology evolves.  Our main
focus is an obscure species of Crucifer that, unlike Arabidopsis and other
Brassicaceae, produces solitary flowers rather than a branching
inflorescence.  Our primary question is "how did this difference evolve?"
but in the process it is likely that we will help elucidate developmental
mechanisms at work in Arabidopsis.

We are looking at genes involved in flower/inflorescence meristem identity,
specifically LFY, AP1, CAL, and TFL (when it is cloned) and plan to see how
the homologs from the solitary-flowered species function in an Arabidopsis
genetic background.  To facilitate this project it would be ideal to
collaborate with somebody trained in molecular, developmental plant biology
who is interested in learning about phylogeny and evolution.  If you are
such a person please let me know.  If this specific project does not
interest you I have others in mind that also relate to the evolution of
developmental systems and am open to suggestions.

We are located in the Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
which is currently an exciting center for evolutionary research (our
faculty includes such "names" as E. O. Wilson, S. J. Gould and R.
Lewontin).  My lab is closely integrated with two other newly renovated
plant evolution labs (M. Donoghue and E. Kellogg).  Together the three labs
comprise a friendly group of approximately 10 post-docs, 8 grad. students,
and several undergrads engaged in a diverse range of studies.  The next
building houses Bob Pruitt's lab and MGH (Ausubel/Goodman/Fink) is a short
T-ride away.

Thank you for your interest.

David

David Baum

Harvard University Herbaria             Tel:(617)496-6744
22 Divinity Avenue                      Fax:(617)495-9484
Cambridge, MA 02138                     DBaum at oeb.harvard.edu