Shinhan sshiu at students.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 23:50:29 EST 1995

The following messages are the response I get for a question regarding the use
of suspension culture for enzyme assay in Arabidopsis. There are certain
references being cited more than once. In order to retain the original
message, I didn't do too much editing. Thanks for those who provide
information about my question.

1. Dr Chris Cobbett/chris_cobbett at muwayf.unimelb.edu.au/11.22.95
 *See May and Leaver 1993 Plant Physiol 103 : 621-627

2. Dr Jed H. Deolling/doelling at biodec.wustl.edu/11.21.95
 *Plant Cell Reports (1993) 12:241-244.  Transient expression in
  Arabidopsis thaliana protoplasts derived from rapidly established
  suspension cultures. Doelling and Pikaard. The suspension cultures
  grow very well but it is difficult to get good protoplasts for
  transient expression studies.
 *Also see Plant Science Letters (1975) 5: 293-304.  Arabidopsis
  thaliana as a model system in somatic cell genetics I. Cell and
  Tissue culture.  Negrutiu, Beeftink and Jacobs.

3. Dr Craig Pikkard/pikaard at biodec.wustl.edu/11/24/95
 *We make suspension cultures as needed, and also regularly isolate
  protoplasts from mesophyll cells for transient expression assays.
  See the following papers:
 (1) Doelling, Jed H. and Craig S. Pikaard (1993). Transient expression
   in Arabidopsis thaliana protoplasts derived from rapidly established
   cell suspension cultures. Plant Cell Reports 12: 241-244.
 (2) Doelling, Jed H., Reginald Gaudino, and Craig S. Pikaard (1993).
   Functional analysis of  Arabidopsis thaliana rRNA gene and spacer
   promoters by transient expression. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA,
   90: 7528-7532.
 (3) Doelling, Jed H. and Craig S. Pikaard (1995). The minimal ribosomal
   RNA gene promoter of Arabidopsis thaliana includes a critical element
   at the transcription initiation site. The Plant Journal (November
   1995 issue).

4. Dr I. A. Graham/gbca59 at pop-server.cent.gla.ac.uk/11.22.95
 *Check out the following ref. May and Leaver: 1993. Plant Physiol,
  103: 621-627. The cell culture described in this paper grows like
  yeast!

5. Dr.Rafael Pont-Lezica/lezica at cict.fr/11.19.95
 *Take a look to Axelos et al, 1992, "A protocol for transient gene
  expression in Arabidopsis thaliana protoplasts isolated from cell
  suspension cultures.Plant Physiol Biochem 30, 123-128."

6. Dr Jamie McLaughlin/ZO1JCM at strines.shef.ac.uk/11.22.95
 *I find a common way to get suspension cultures form arabidopsis is   to use
shoots and induce the formation of callus by transfer on to a   callus
induction media (CIM).  After callus formation transfer to   suspension media
(SM). From May, M.J. and Leaver, C.J. (1993).   Oxidative stimulation of
glutathione synthesis in Arabidopsis   thaliana suspension cultures. Plant
Physiol. 103, 621-627.
(1) CIM
  Gamborg's B5, 2% (w/v) Glucose, MES 0.5 g/l, 2,4-D 0.5 mg/ml  Kinetin 0.05
  mg/ml, 0.8% Agar
(2) SM
  Murashige and Skoog, 3% sucrose, 0.5 mg/ml NAA, 0.05mg/ml kinetin

7. Dr Carl Douglas/cdouglas at pop.unixg.ubc.ca/11.23.95
 *Try the Hahlbrock lab at the Max-Planck Institute in Cologne, Germany
  (for example, contact Dr. Imre Somssich or Dr. Bernt Weisshaar) -
  they have a suspension.
 *Dr. Keith Davis at Ohio State University may also have one.

8. Dr Andreas Mordhorst/Andreas.Mordhorst at MAC.MB.WAU.NL/11.28.1995
 *For suspension cultures (or better liquid in vitro cultures) of
  Arabidopsis look into the following puplications:
 (1) Ford: Plant Cell reports (1990) 8: 534-537,
 (2) Mathur et al.: Plant Cell reports (1995) 14: 221-226,
 (3) Wenck and Marton: BioTechniques (1995) 18: 640-643.
 *We also have an (unpublished) protocol starting from seedling tissue
  in MS-medium with 2,4-D. If you are interested please let me know.
 *I also found in the meanwhile a number of other publications
  concerning suspension cultures in Arabidopsis or where the authors
  used in liquid cultured cells to eg. isolate protoplasts or to study
  gene  expression. Note, that in some cases the cultures seem not to
  consist of fine dispered cell colonies of even single cells, like for
  instance in carrot cell suspensions.
 (1) Xuan and Menczel (1980): Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 96: 77-80.
 (2) Braam (1992): PNAS USA: 89 3213-3216.
 (3) Axelos et al. (1992) Plant Physiol. Biochem. 30: 123-128.
 (4) de Virville et al. (1994) Plant Physiol. Biochem. 32: 159-166.
 (5) Kaldenhoff et al. (1994) Planta 195: 182-187.
 (6) Soni et al. (1995) Plant Cell 7: 85-103.