Chromosomes on WWW

Toni Schaeffner schaeff at lmb.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Dec 11 15:18:13 EST 1995

WWW pages with A. thaliana chromosomes and positional information about
labs working in a particular region

At the last Arabidopsis meeting in Madison a number of participants used
five big posters representing the five A. th. chromosomes to fix their
names plus some information to the region(s) where they are struggling or
are planning to get interested in or even are already in the process of
cloning genes.

This list should give different labs a chance just to know that there is
somebody out in the world who has interest in the same genomic region.
This might propel and speed up things if the parties involved would
exchange knowledge, markers or other relevant data.
In the weeks following the meeting we had some discussion on whether to
disclose the whole information to the "public" or not. The outcome was that
I offered to establish a service on the WWW where people could deposit the
relevant information about their work as described below.

Finally I have now established these 5 "chromosome pages". Each page will
contain a listing of laboratories that are currently working or interested
in a particular region with respect to known, flanking or neighboring
markers. This information is thought as a reference and help to those who
look it up and may contact the labs involved.

Any new listings will be made after mailing me the information via email in
a given format.

Submitting, of course, implies that the information will be freely
accessible to everybody. However, it is neither necessary nor intended to
submit information on the type of mutation you are working on. Simply the
knowledge of the chromosomal position will enable others to contact you
personally and to exchange data and markers etc.

There will be a mailing form directly on the WWW pages in the near future.
However, then and NOW you can use the the following list and mail the
information back to me  (schaeff at lmb.uni-muenchen.de).

This service is in effect STARTING NOW.

Send to me:

Chromosome:

Flanking marker (proximal):

Flanking marker (distal):

(Alternatively) Closest marker :

Genetic Background:

Name of Contributor:

Address including email, fax or telephone numbers:

Date of contribution:

Comments:

If you want to check the home page use the URL

   http://www.lmb.uni-muenchen.de/groups/schaeffner/main.htm

to reach my lab, or

   http://www.lmb.uni-muenchen.de/groups/schaeffner/main.htm#chr

to get onto the chromosome pages directly.

To get started I just put one information each onto the chromosomes to give
you an idea about the potential benefits.

These prototype data are real and are taken from my own lab; from Kevin
Pyke, University of London, UK; from Simon Misera, Gatersleben, Germany;
Cindy Lincoln, Durham, NC.
Note: Except my own information these labs were picked randomly from the
Madison posters since they were among the many that did not object making
that information public.

I am looking forward to your submissions !!!!

Cheers,

Tony Schaeffner

*   Dr. Tony Schaeffner
*   Institut f. Biochemie