<%-2>Clinton upsets horticulturists<%0> (fwd)

Jennifer D Olson olso0264 at GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU
Tue Feb 7 14:19:01 EST 1995

Thanks for all your responses. Keep me updated.

Jennifer Olson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 13:08:59 -0500
From:olso0264 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Subject: <%-2>Clinton upsets horticulturists<%0>

Headline: <%-2>Clinton upsets horticulturists<%0>
Publish Date: 02/01/1995

Jennifer DeAnn Olson

<W0I>Staff Reporter

President Bill Clinton's State of the Union address has crop
researchers stressed out.

Never mind Clinton's remarks about banning assault weapons or
reforming welfare. Researchers are fuming about his implication that
federally funded plant-stress research is nothing more than pork.

Plant-stress research involves the effects of the environment on
crops, including heat, drought conditions and damp weather.

Clinton blasted a tick-removal program and a $1 million
plant-research study. ``I'll tell you something, if you'll give me
the line-item veto, I'll remove some of that unnecessary spending,''
he said.

After the speech, horticulturists and botanists around the country
sent letters to Clinton and hit the Internet with fellow researchers
to complain about the president's comment.

Duke University plant botany professor James Siedow listened to the
speech in his car and ``went berserk'' when he heard the comment.

``I drove to my hotel room and wrote a (letter) that night,'' he
said.

He said he has not received a response from Clinton.

The million-dollar remark prompted other national researchers to vent
their anger.

Curtis V. Givan, professor of plant biology at the University of New
Hampshire, wrote to Clinton telling him that the comment left him
``deeply concerned.''

``It would be disastrous to stop funding research in plant
pathology,'' Givan wrote.

``I am sorry to have to lecture you in this way, but the fact that
such an ill-considered remark found itself into (your) speech
suggests that something is seriously wrong somewhere,'' he continued.

Robert Jones, University agronomy and plant genetics professor, was
``surprised and concerned'' by Clinton's remarks.

Ronald Reagan's State of the Union speech in 1988 prompted similar
the line-item veto. Reagan referred to a bill containing hidden money
for ``cranberry research, blueberry research, the study of crawfish
and the commercialization of wildflowers.''

White House media spokeswoman Laura Schwartz, said she was unsure of
Clinton's reference to the study.

Some researchers said they believe Clinton thought he was speaking
about counseling for plants.

``He implied that we put plants on Dramamine,'' Siedow said.