Inhibiting protein synthesis

BRIAN FORDE brian.forde at
Wed Jan 25 07:42:59 EST 1995

Dear Netters:

Can anyone help with information about the best way of inhibiting protein
synthesis in Arabidopsis roots. We want to determine whether the rapid
induction (<60 min) of certain genes by nitrate is part of the primary
response to nitrate - i.e. whether it is independent of protein
synthesis. So we need something that is effective, rapid and without
side-effects (ideally!). The use of any protein synthesis inhibitors
is fraught with difficulties because of secondary effects, but has
anyone got any experience of using cycloheximide, for example, on

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Brian Forde

brian.forde at
Biochemistry and Physiology Dept.
Herts AL5 2JQ