Inhibiting protein synthesis

Mike MSANTOS at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
Sat Jan 28 12:03:04 EST 1995

Hello everyone.

I was wondering why most plant DNA extraction protocols exclude the use of
phenol - ie so far, most of the methods I've used jump right into choloroform-
isoamyl alcohol extraction after the leaf tissue is ground in CTAB buffer. Is
phenol too harsh a reagent that it could lower the yield of hi-mwt DNA?

I am a little worried about the possibility of DNAse activity going unchecked
when I use a regular, phenol-free extraction protocol for Arabidopsis leaf
tissue. Using phenol might save me the grief. What do you think?

Mike Santos
Crop and Soil Sci
University of Georgia