transgenic controversies & ethics

SCHMID at Butler.EDU SCHMID at Butler.EDU
Mon Jan 30 19:48:02 EST 1995

Peter Schuerman (plschuerman at ucdavis.edu) asks for suggestions for a
lecture on " controversies and ethical considerations in producing
transgenic organisms, especially transgenic plants. "  Here are some
references from my read-and-discuss assignment files for undergraduates.
 For some of the articles, you would  need to add some  "pro" side
lecture to balance things.

T. Adler.  1994.  Crop-weed offspring show hardy streak.  Scence News
145: 151

C. A. Hoffman.  1990.  Ecological risks of genetic engineering of crop
plants.  BioScience 40:434437

K.H. Keeler.  1989.  Can genetically engineered crops become weeds?
Bio/Technology 7: 1134-1138.

D.A. Kessler, M.R. Taylor, J.H. Maryanskik E.L. Flamm, L.S. Kahl.
1992.  The safety of foods developed by biotechnology.  Science 256:
1747-1749, 1832

I., Wickelgren.  1989.  Please pass the genes.  Experts weigh worries of
engineered ills in new food crops.  Science News 136:  120-122, 124.

R.P. Wribel, S.  Krimsky, .W. Wetzler.  1992.  Field testing transgenic
plants.  BioScience 42:280--289.

Kathy Schmid
Biological Sciences
Butler University