Substitutes for Noble Agar?

jkreps at biochem.umass.edu jkreps at biochem.umass.edu
Wed Jul 5 16:58:17 EST 1995

>To save money, I'd like to use bacto-agar (e.g. DIFCO) in place of Noble
>agar as part of a solid growth medium in a seedling-lethal mutant screen.
>
>I've heard of washing bacto-agar in water or TE in a cold room for a few
>days.  Apparently after a few washes the bacto-agar turns pure white.
>
>Does anyone else have experience with this?
>
>Anyone know of a supplier of "PHYT-Agar"?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Dear Mike,

I have also heard of washing bacto Agar in acetone to remove possible
inhibitors.  Phyta-agar is sold by Sigma.  Personally, I have been using
bactoagar without any pretreatment, 0.8% for seedlings that I will remove
from the agar or 1% for callus cultures.  The seedlings that I grow get used
for RNA preps and I have not seen any ill-effects from growing the seedlings
on Difco bacto agar.

Joel Kreps
Dept. of Biochem.
UMass at Amherst