Mutant Sequences Database

Ernest Retzel ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:03:11 EST 1995

A while ago, a couple of people in this newsgroup mentioned the
possibility of making mutant sequences available as a database.  After
the initial post and seconding of the "motion," things got kind of
quiet.  I don't know if that means that the discussants went off line,
or the next steps were sufficiently hard that it just stopped there,
but I would like to volunteer my group as a place to put such
sequences.  For those of you that don't know, we do the informatics
side of Tom Newman's Arabidopsis cDNA sequencing, which, for the moment
is ESTs, but there are plans for complete sequencing in the future.  In
any case, I think there would be tremendous "value added" to both the
db here and to the sequences themselves to at least be available here
as an adjunct to the EST analytical data.

It would not be hard to do some standard things with these, and maybe
even some novel things.  And, in addition, it could be a truly community-
based project, with this group as a forum for discussing what would be
useful as added information.

Ernie Retzel

Ernest F. Retzel, Ph.D.
Director, Computational Biology Centers
Medical School                                  Phone:  612-624-9118
University of Minnesota                         Fax:    612-626-0623
M39/M41 Masonic, UMHC Box 43                    ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu
420 Delaware St. S.E.                           http://lenti.med.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0312